Can cats eat watermelon?

Watermelon

Watermelon is a favorite berry of many people because it is not only sweet and tasty but also very useful. Watermelon contains vitamins B1, B2, B6, B9, C, E, A, carbohydrates, ascorbic acid, iron, magnesium, potassium, lycopene, niacin, thiamine, and vegetable fiber. It is very useful for the nervous and cardiovascular systems, normalizes bowel function, and perfectly quenches the feeling of thirst. Many watermelon lovers are interested in: Is it possible to give this delicious berry to our friends – cats? The answer is YES, but you need to know a couple of interesting aspects before you feed your cat with watermelon.

What is the use of watermelon for a cat?

To begin with, many cats are attracted to watermelon. The main reason why watermelon is attractive to cats is not the taste or smell, but the consistency of the watermelon. It consists of 90% of water and some cats do not mind replacing simple water with watermelon. But this is a good fact because watermelon is good for them. Watermelon contains fiber, which is important for a healthy diet of cats. It helps to eliminate digestive problems and is very useful for constipation problems of the cat. Another reason why watermelon is good for cats is vitamins. Watermelon contains vitamins, which are important for cats (A, C). If these vitamins are lacking, watermelon can be used as a good source. Potassium and magnesium, which are important for a healthy cat lifestyle, are in the composition of watermelon. One more joyful and useful fact is that watermelon contains lycopene, therefore it is very beneficial for the heart and bones of the cat. Lycopene also prevents the development of oncological diseases. Thus, we can conclude that watermelon is useful not only for humans but also for cats.

Does watermelon harm the cat’s metabolism?

All healthy foods have their pros and cons, and watermelon is no exception. Watermelon has seeds and peels, which can be harmful to cats. If seeds get into their organism, then it will lead to vomiting and diarrhea. Also, cats do not have the ability to digest seeds, and when they try to chew them they may even choke, this also applies to the peel of watermelon. Watermelon juice and watermelon itself without seeds and peels are not dangerous unless the cat has diabetes. If your cat has diabetes, then watermelon should be excluded because of sugar. If your cat has no problems with diabetes, then you can treat it with watermelon. Just take precautions, remove seeds and peels. Then the watermelon will not harm, only benefit. But also mock the individual tolerance of the watermelon.

How much watermelon can I give to my cat?

If your cat loves watermelon and you give it in a peeled form, this does not mean to adding it to the constant diet of cats. It should not occupy more than 10% of the cat’s diet, the remaining 90% should be balanced nutrition. Cats are predators of nature and they need to be given more meat and foods rich in protein. You can sometimes give watermelon, as it is also useful. There are a few rules you should know before feeding the cat with watermelon:

  • If the cat has already eaten a watermelon before and there were no side effects
  • If the cat itself asks for a watermelon
  • Watermelon should be peeled
  • Watermelon should be at room temperature
  • Give the watermelon in small portions (fiber can be harmful in large amounts)